Monday, June 30, 2014

Vegas (baby) or bust

I took a little break from the renovation at PCPL to attend my first ALA convention in Las Vegas. ALA sponsored my trip in exchange for a few hours of work. Thank you, ALA.

I met so many great people! Many Youth Services librarians and I exchanged info. I will be connecting with them to present at another conference in the future. I also met my mentor, which is awesome because she lives in California. She has encouraged me to panel or poster at these events.

Another major highlight: I met my favorite author, e. E. Charlton-Trujillo! We took pictures, shared some laughs, and I asked her out to dinner. She accepted in front of the fan line. Woo hoo! I'm working on finalizing dinner plans. Let's just hope I'm semi-articulate tonight.

I learned a bit about collaboration with public and school librarians. I also learned how to bring teens in with a "game jam". You can bet your bottom dollar that I'll implement this into my library! Simple games can be super fun when you create it yourself. The game we made was called "The Never Ending Story" because there were strict rules that tried to prevent players from advancing. However, there was a winner in our group. It was a blast to work together to see a winner, even if it wasn't me. I'll post more about the game later.

That's all for now. I have to get back to the desk at the Press Room.

No comments:

Post a Comment