Sunday, June 8, 2014

Friday Fizz Fizzled

Friday Fizzes were set up by the previous Youth Services Department Manager. Volunteers from De Pauw University are going to come over at 4pm to talk to the kids about science stuff----> incorporating the summer reading program, Fizz Boom Read. This past Friday, a volunteer was going to bring in tadpoles and pond water, along with microscopes for the kiddos to look at. When she didn't show, oh, let's say around 3:50pm, I began to panic.

Thinking quick, I grabbed the books I pulled for the program and asked my staff to prep an experiment, water in bowls to demonstrate density. I introduced myself to the kids and began by sharing a book with a lot of different experiments. I found one that was so simple, all we needed was popsicle sticks. I grabbed a bunch of sticks in two sizes and showed the kids what to do. They had to put the stick in their molars and "pling pling pling" on the end of the stick. By doing this, the kids were able to hear sounds. One kid noticed that if you put the stick back farther it made a different sound. We also switched out the sticks to the smaller ones to notice for sounds.

When that one got "old" we began testing for static electricity. Yes, we even took off our stinky shoes to rub our feet on the floor. The storytime room lacks a charge. No one got zapped. 

Lo and behold, the volunteer showed up with pond water and tadpoles around 4:25. Whew, that was close. I kept the kids busy until she got there. They seemed to like it, too. Lesson learned: ABC------> Always Be Creative. By thinking on my feet, I was able to bring science to the improv storytime session.

No comments:

Post a Comment