Saturday, September 6, 2014

Top Ten Teen Tips

Each week I share tips with teens on the whiteboard in the YA section. (I think I mentioned that there is a whiteboard to encourage interaction since I hide in the basement.)

A few weeks ago (yes, it's been a while since I've last posted) I shared a list of tips that successful people do. A lot of the lists repeat the same information, stay positive, don't accept failure, et cetera, et cetera. The list for that week was called "5 Things successful People Never Do". The final item on the list states, "They don't say 'yes' to everyone, all the time." This is one tip that I have to start implementing.

I've been saying yes to my boss since I got here. It's not that I'm afraid to say "no" (okay, maybe it is) but it's more out of convenience. I live in the town where I work. The Putnam County Public Library is located in Greencastle, Indiana, aka "GC". I live 1.5ish miles away. My boss lives in another county and has to commute 45+ minutes. Also, our schedules don't sync. It's easier for me to come in early, work my normal shift, and take time off on Friday to balance the schedule than to have to find a time that works for both my boss and myself.

In the past I have said "yes" to meeting him on a Tuesday morning, generally around 11 despite my noon start time. After reading the article, I thought I would take its advice. When my boss proposed a meeting for this upcoming Tuesday at 11, I said "no", kind of. Instead of directly saying "no", I gave him the facts; I don't work until noon, and. since the meeting will be about minor details of the Imagination Portal, I was fine with having my co-workers take my place. He was very willing to be flexible with the time. The meeting has been successfully rescheduled for noon on Tuesday.

It might not be easy to say "no" but, like anything else, practice makes perfect. Now it's time to start implementing "track and budget what's spent and what's made" from "10 Things Successful People Do Every Day". Oh boy . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment