Sunday, September 28, 2014

The Game Plan

Storytelling area with puppet show cutout.
It's finally here; time to start planning the move into the new space. The walls are painted, carpet will be installed this week, and . . . the tree on Wednesday! Planning for the move has been difficult. Unlike the move to the temporary location, the dates for the move back keep changing. (Okay, the dates for the move to the temporary space changed a lot. I had to be out by the "start" date. Check. Start date? Postponed. Was I surprised? Not really. But there wasn't a "Grand Opening" to plan for!!) I've been told we'd be able to start moving back on September 25th. That was 3 days ago and we're still not ready to move. Well, guess what. The tree is coming and carpet has to be down for that.

I'm not blaming anyone or anything on the fact that we can't move yet; it's the basic construction schedule. (I guess I'm blaming construction, but not the construction team, if that makes sense. These guys have been great. I mentioned that we're a library and they had to keep noise down . . . and it worked . . . for 20 minutes.) As I stated in my previous post, you gotta roll with the punches in order to succeed. One easy step is to work with what you have. I have an exact date that the tree will be coming. Okay! Great!

Everything will fall into place. I just know it. I've called in volunteers to come in a week after the tree. By that time shelves should be in. Worst case scenario, they can pull boxes from storage, sort the books, and organize the boxes based on type of book. I have a few weeks before the Halloween Party/Grand Opening to ensure that the space is ready to go. I've got a great team and awesome volunteers who love the library willing to contribute their time to the cause.

Moral of the story: Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Have a plan. Also have a back-up plan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment