Thursday, September 25, 2014

Banned Blogs?

As a librarian, I support the freedom of speech and the right to share information. In anticipation of Banned Books Week, I gathered a few graphic novels that have been challenged. I also filled my whiteboard (the one in the YA area) with a list of classics that have been challenged, ie The Catcher in the Rye and To Kill a Mockingbird. By avoiding the newest challenged book, thereby censoring myself, I hope to prevent controversy in my library. My assistant and I worked together to create a sign for the display hanging from the ceiling. It's subtle but serves its purpose.

As a new librarian (in a new town, with many challenges ahead) I created this blog to document my experiences. Since it's a public blog, I creatively censor myself. My young patrons may stumble upon my work. Employees and coworkers have read my work. I keep things as anonymous as possible. Sure, if you're "in the know" you might infer who people are, but the definition states, "[to] deduce or conclude (information) from evidence and reasoning rather than from explicit statements." I never point a finger. It's not my style.

As I stated, this is a public blog. After posting my blog about color changes in the IP, it was suggested that I double-check with my boss regarding sharing too much information. I kind of chuckled, and obliged her. I sent the link to many coworkers in the library, including my staff and my boss, after all, I rather liked my "punny" blog (my sister said it was the best one (but she has to say that, right?)). And, like my sister said, everyone seemed to love it, including my boss . . . except . . .

As you may gather, I've been asked to "censor" myself while writing my blog. I've been asked not to share information about . . . because people can infer who is who and what is what. Well, I say "F the [blog] police"! I post what I want! Sorry for the profanity, really, I am, but it's a saying after all and I'm an adult. (I eat cookies for breakfast (sometimes.)) If I want to post situations that happen to me at work, I will. Yes, I will continue to keep it anonymous; however, I will not leave out raging confrontations with coworkers or run-ins with patrons. My goal for this blog is to document what I've done in the hopes that a new librarian may stumble upon it. I have friends in library school who may end up in similar situations. So, I'm sorry if you want me to leave you out of this, but it will stifle my creative flow and I can't do it.

Moral of the story: Fight for what you believe in! Use your words, and use them wisely. Don't scream and shout to be heard.
“Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions. It is the one un-American act that could most easily defeat us.”—Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas, “The One Un-American Act”. Nieman Reports, vol. 7, no. 1 (Jan. 1953): p. 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment