Thursday, September 18, 2014

Haunted by Halloween

Did you ever get so stressed out that you dream about your problem? Yeah, that's happening to me right now. There's lots of pressure to have a grand Halloween party for the Imagination Portal. Halloween is by far the library's largest event at PCPL. Last year 1,300+ people showed up for the event. With Halloween landing on a Friday this year, I've been warned that more people will attend. Oh boy!

Each year PCPL gives away books. Tables are set up and books are put out for patrons (of trick-or-treating age). Will I have enough books for the event? There may or may not be candy. There may or may not be a pumpkin decorating set up. AHHHHHH! Perhaps I should schedule a meeting with my team to resolve these issues.

Halloween is huge and the whole county gets into the spirit, which means that there will be competition for attendance. With the launch of our new space, PCPL wants to make a grand spectacle. We want people to linger in our area to explore all that we have to offer. And why not? With a crowd as big as this, it's clear that we will reach an audience not normally using the library. There are so many possibilities for this event, I don't know where to begin.

Well, that last statement is not entirely true. I depleted my budget on books already. The order has been confirmed and shipped. Each book has to be stamped twice, one with our library information and two with "Friends of the Library" information. Will my TAB members help with this? I hope so! Our meeting on Saturday will confirm the volunteer schedule. We're also bribing the kids (I mean . . . rewarding them) with a pizza party.

I have scheduled a meeting with my gals for this afternoon. We'll talk about such things as candy, pumpkins, and entertainment.

Moral of the story: Plan, prepare, party! By setting up a meeting, I'll find out what to expect. With teens helping, I don't have to stress about finding more hours in the day. And, of course, that means I'll be able to relax and enjoy the festivities.

No comments:

Post a Comment