Thursday, August 21, 2014

To Replace or Not to Replace

Good ol' Shakespeare. His stuff remains on shelves at libraries (perhaps because few are interested in reading it recreationally?) New stuff, on the other hand, flies off the shelf at a much quicker rate. Controversial books sometimes don't come back. People have come to accept Shakespeare, complete with the suicides of 2 star-crossed lovers; why can't they accept modern works?

I've heard rumors that patrons will sometimes deliberately hide material. Supposedly, there were books in the ceiling! I could ask why someone would hide such information, but I already know the answer: Censorship. In other words, banned books become problematic.

Most recently, I was asked to make decisions regarding L/M/C materials. The first title, based on reviews, looked like a standard YA novel, with a bit of romance, etc. The second title, was a bit more suggestive. With a target audience of 12-14 (based on reviews), the book follows a 16-year-old girl dealing with the consequences of "sexting". She sent a nude photo of herself to her boyfriend, but when they break up the image goes viral. (surprised?) With a theme this intense, I wonder if the book that is catalogued as "lost" really is lost. Perhaps it is one of a few that are in the ceiling.

I'm all about sharing information. Books should not be banned. I try to be the best librarian I can be; however, I'm torn with this title. Should I replace it? OR, should I accept that it is missing and move on to the next book on my list? I know that books go missing or are "lost" due to content. Is this one of those titles? If I replace it, will it get lost again? If I don't replace it, will people think I am censoring them from its content? For the moment, especially in regards to expanding my YA non-fiction section, I will pass on the title. I guess I answered my own question, or did I?



1 comment:

  1. The L/M/C list shows 5 books with the same date and same last borrower. My suspicions are almost validated with the evidence. Hmm?

    ReplyDelete