Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Scheduling Success

As Department Manager, I am responsible for scheduling my staff. Granted, there are only 2 other ladies, but it can be a challenge. Both have families and want to spend time with them. I, on the other hand, do not have a family in the area, so evenings and a Saturday for me are any other days of the week.

A few weeks back I suggested the idea of eliminating a rotating Saturday schedule. One of my gals was all for it; the other not so much. That was her day to serve as reference and get computer time. Okay, no big deal, we can work together on it. I presented her with another alternative, 2 Saturdays at 4 hours each. Well, that also didn't go over very well either. I can understand, though. To come in from 10-2 or 11-3 really puts a halt on any activity planned with the family.

My other gal, the one all for not having to come in on Saturdays, suggested that we keep the rotation, but that if I had a program, I could come in on Saturday and take the time off in the week. Again, that turns into a problem; I'd potentially have to be there 6 days per week. I might not have a family, but I definitely do not want to work 6 days per week.

The dream team came to a conclusion. We decided that I would come in 3 Saturdays a month and the last Saturday would be my part-timer's. It would give me an opportunity to work more with the kiddos and still give me a time to head home to my family in Milwaukee. It should be a bonus, actually. By default with a rotation, I'll essentially have a 3-day-weekend. And for those occasional weekends when I've had enough of traveling 10 hours round trip, I can always explore Greencastle and other parts on Indiana, like Cataract Falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment