Friday, July 11, 2014

Friday Fizz Fantastically Fun

Our volunteer from DePauw visited the library today with his electro-thingy.

I wasn't sure if he was coming because I fell behind with ALA and the holiday landing on the previous Friday. I should have emailed or called the group of potential volunteers earlier in the week, but that task kept slipping away. It wasn't until Wednesday that I got in touch with one of the volunteers. Unfortunately she said she was unable to help out. Instead of begging for a last minute gig, I thought I'd fill in the activity with "Density". I had 3 different water containers set and ready to go; one had tap water, one had salt water, and one had soapy water. I also grabbed various things to put in the water; noodles, beans, candy, and other miscellaneous things. When the volunteer showed up ten minutes before we began, I asked the kids what that wanted. Of course, using "Jazz Hands" helped out. "Hey, kids, do you want to do boring water stuff or fun electricity stuff?" **insert jazz hands with "fun electricity stuff"** The kids were super thrilled to play with danger!

Our volunteer had a few demonstrations. One of the patrons asked a great question and they were able to experiment on the hypothesis. It was truly a Fizz, Boom, Read day. I only wish I had more time to hang out and learn about electricity. Instead, I had to "catalogue" books. I could always go back to school for another 6 years to learn more, like our volunteer. On second thought, I love my job and think I'll stick to it for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment