Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Butterflies and Books

Creatures in the library
This just in: I'm afraid of bugs. If it has more than four legs, and/or flies, stay away!! The actual term for my phobia is entomophobia. I'm not sure when the phobia developed. Let's just say that I can't enjoy a nice sunny day when bees are buzzing, ants are marching, and caterpillars are crawling.What about butterflies? "They're so pretty!" FALSE. They freak me out!! Okay, it's true; butterflies are pretty . . . when their dead behind glass.

When my assistant told me about this guy, I did all I could to keep my composure. Little did I know when I interviewed that my patrons are fascinated with insects. We, at PCPL, meet their needs and have a Nature Nook, complete with living caterpillars. And, now that I'm here, I've got to adapt. I frequently train in the park, sitting under the shade of a tree reading books while flies, gnats, ants and other creepy crawlies are out and about. Yes, I still squirm and freak out when a bug lands/crawls on me, but it's getting better. I have to build up my endurance for when these bad boys hatch from their chrysalis.

Currently, in my library, in the small room that is our temporary location during the renovation, these creatures are thriving. We have two netted homes for them. This guy, we'll call him Catarino, was munching on leaves in his habitat. I was able to reach in and get a few inches away to take this photograph. (See? I told you I was getting better.)

The moral of this story: Respect. Butterflies serve a purpose. Without butterflies bats would go hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment