Saturday, August 9, 2014

Music Mania

Metallica in the library? You better believe it.

I've mentioned that we have an upright piano in our small temporary room. We have it available for the kids to play with when they are here. The don't need any experience to play it either. On that note (get it?) many kids will play nothing, trying to create something. Most often, as with any experiment, there are failures. In other words, the sounds coming from the piano have made my ears bleed (figuratively).

The other day, a young boy sat down to play. Terror swept over me as he began playing the theme music to "Halloween". He played it from memory. There were a few other melodies he played. I finally asked him if he had a piano at home. He said that he normally played the guitar. What luck! I have an acoustic guitar (and a ukulele that my part-time practices with at home). I asked if he wanted to play and he did. I was very impressed with his talents. His mom suggested that he teach lessons here at the library. I don't blame him for not wanting to do it, but I hope he comes back to play again.

Since our piano is a big hit with the kids, our director is considering buying an 88-key digital piano/keyboard with MIDI hook-ups. How sweet would it be to have kids jamming on the keyboard, or wanking on guitars! Library garage band anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment