Thursday, November 6, 2014

National Nacho Night

Did you know that there is a food holiday for every day of the year? A quick search will result in a few links to food holidays. Here are a few for November: nachos, more nachos, and NACHOS!. I discovered this some time ago, and now that the IP has a kitchen, I'm going to start celebrating regularly.

National Nachos Day was our theme today. I began in Spanish. "Lavarse sus manos" and I mimed hand washing. Then, I gave a brief introduction to books using a non-fiction Mexican history book, and transitioned to nachos. With our 65" monitor behind me, many of the kids were distracted with the screensaver images than what I had to say. I explained how cheese was the last ingredient; however, it was hard to hear with all of the excitement. Some kids had cheese under toppings. I explained that the melted cheese tells how we know nachos are ready. Of course, we added more cheese. While nachos were baking, I showed a few videos on how to make nachos, homemade cheese sauce, and homemade chips. (The kids and I were laughing at a man using a triangle cookie cutter to make homemade chips.) The use of videos was a great way to incorporate 21st Century learning tools.

Thanks to my team of TABs and other volunteers, the program ended without any casualties. In other words, no one was burned, cut, or maimed in any way. Whew. My "amazing family" was in attendance. When latecomers arrived, and we were out of chips, mom ran to the store to buy more ingredients. (The receipt was submitted and she will be reimbursed. AMAZING FAMILY!! )

I learned a few things about how to work in a kitchen. Okay, I know how to work in a kitchen, but now I know how to work in a kitchen with an audience. It helped to remind kids that the kitchen can be a dangerous place. They weren't too upset when I asked them to sit and wait for their nachos instead of hovering behind me (in front of a 350 degree oven).

I also learned that for my next "Feature and Feast" the food that should be celebrated is Beaujolais Nouveau. Wine!?!? Well, not all food holidays can be celebrated in the IP ;D I leave it up to the patrons to decide. I've shared a post on social media and the whiteboard in YA. Which will win? Pizza, tacos, or mac & cheese with mix-ins. Feel free to vote. The poll closes November 13, 2014 at 8pm.


Moral of the Story: Food brings people together. Note to self: never run out of featured food. Leftovers don't exist in the library :D

No comments:

Post a Comment