Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Homework Blues . . .


When I finished my last class I sang the classic Alice Cooper song. I should have known better. Homework never ends! And that's okay. Professional development is an important part of being a librarian.

Attending conferences is one way to build professional development. It's an easy way to earn LEUs (Library Education Units). Bonus, I get paid to attend. Remember Las Vegas? I sure do (maybe I shouldn't?)! It was a great learning opportunity and it didn't feel like homework.

Presenting at conferences is a different story. I submitted a proposal to ILF for a poster idea. Success: it was accepted. Now it's time to create the poster. I have a good start on it; however, part of me feels like it should be super impressive. It's only slightly impressive. I've created a flow chart describing why Latino author should be included in libraries. Funny thing is, there are not a whole lot of us out there writing. I feel like my list is old news.

Perhaps I should think optimistically about the poster and its contents. I will proudly stand in front of my poster and encourage librarians all around Indiana to include Latino authors in their collections. Here in Greencastle, there aren't many Latinos within the community; however, that doesn't mean that the community shouldn't learn about the fastest growing minority population. Another way to think of it, the community may have an opportunity to learn a little more about their librarian. As a minority, I want every librarian to include more minority authors, not just Latino authors. 

Moral of the Story: Hard work pays off. So does a positive attitude. Still, keep your fingers crossed for me ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment