Friday, October 10, 2014

Veruca Salt

"Daddy, I want a golden goose!" That was me all week: stomping my feet, crying about not getting my way, etc, etc. "Not cute," is all I have to say about that.

Who would have thought that I would have to be an interior designer in addition to a librarian. Okay, so I'm a writer, too, but I have experience in that field. Interior design? That's another story (no pun intended).

The blue prints show 4 tall and 6 short units. In reality, we have 4 tall units and 4 short units. I created an alternative layout for the reality of the shelves. We have 4 tall shelves comfortably in place. However, after moving one short unit to the space, I learned that it is almost four inches wider than the tall shelves. The previous layout that I configured just won't do. Now I have to start over. In other words, to prevent a claustrophobic attack on patrons and staff, I have to figure out how to make things fit. Have I mentioned that I have three weeks to make it happen?

I've written about the Grand Opening/Halloween party. The date has been confirmed all over town. It's been printed, documented online, verbally communicated with patrons, and so on. However, we're at a stand still on the transition for many reasons, most importantly of which is that my boss, "dad (of the library)", is out sick, hence my stomping around like Veruca Salt. He has the final say on shelving positions and such.

Thankfully, I can occupy my time with other library related tasks, especially preparation for the kitchen. My Servsafe certification test in less than 2 weeks. Perhaps I should focus my energies on that, rather than on not being able to do anything in the IP. After all, I won't be able to utilize my kitchen if I'm not certified. 

Moral of the Story: I have to learn to be more patient with the construction process, otherwise I may end up down a garbage chute.

No comments:

Post a Comment