Monday, October 20, 2014

Sisyphus

"The gods had condemned Sisyphus to ceaselessly rolling a rock to the top of a mountain, whence the stone would fall back of its own weight. They had thought with some reason that there is no more dreadful punishment than futile and hopeless labor." (http://www.nyu.edu/classes/keefer/hell/camus.html)

This image is perfect. We're still under renovation. And my next step is redo everything I've done.

Our shelves are about a foot too far away from the wall. *so move them* Right, well, there are thousands of books on the shelves. The shelving guy won't move the shelves unless all the books are off.

I kind of have to laugh at this scenario. Granted, and a million thanks to my volunteers, I didn't do a whole lot of unpacking/shifting/moving, it still seems like a punishment for something. Perhaps because I wasn't hands-on enough with the project. Either way, the books have to come off the shelves so the shelving guy can do his job just to put the books back. On the bright side, he'll move the shelving units from the temporary location into the permanent location.

For the next week, we'll be moving books. The Kiwanis room (temporary location) will have a very limited browsing collection since patrons can't access the construction zone, aka IP. The payoff, there will be more books available. Picture books will finally be able to come out of storage. As I've written for my "professional" blog, there are searches one can do in order to find and request a book. My goal is to have the limited collection for a matter of days: Monday-Thursday. With the Grand Opening/Halloween Party next Friday (yikes) we've got to be as ready as possible.

Moral of the Story: Never take anyone's work for granted? Don't sweat the small stuff (books instead of a boulder)? In any case, I think I'll have to thank my volunteers with gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment