Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Jazz Hands

Back story: In my first semester of grad school, I met a funny, quiet guy, "The Don". We had all of the same classes. After that first semester, I made a pact with him to take at least one class with him per semester. Our second semester, we joined forces for a group project and called ourselves "Team Jazz Hands". We did our presentation complete with hand gestures. My third semester, I dropped our "approved" class for a recommended class, and, lucky me, he was also in the class (video game literacy (the sole purpose for my current position (or so I think))). Our final semester, we reunited with fellow SOISers and formed "Jazz Hands Four". Let's just say, we were a huge hit.

Fast forward: I was stressing about the move from the temporary location to the new Imagination Portal. Library dad is back, and I was moderately relieved. He shared his wisdom with me and put the move/transition into perspective. (I'm going to use quotes, but these are obviously not his exact words.) "It's kind of like jazz. You know where your solo is; you know that the other players are going to do their pieces, but you don't know for sure what it will sound like. You just have to trust that it will work out." When he gave me that analogy, all of my anxiety vanished. It was a perfect fit to put me at ease.

As I said, I know that our grand opening/Halloween party is set for October 31st at 3:30pm. I have arranged for cookies to be there. Books have been shipped, stamped, and waiting for display. And, I have my costume picked out. My part is done, mostly. I just have to sit back and see what happens next.

Moral of the Story: I have to play backup bass while the drummer has his solo. See what I did there? I played bass in a band (kinda) and the construction team is the drummer . . . you know, with their hammers and other loud equipment . . . oh, I don't claim this analogy.

3 comments: